Turning Photos into Canvas Prints! Mod Podge Tutorial

136,274 views

Are you like me and have 4358437534895433530 projects tucked away on Pinterest telling yourself that one day you’ll do that?

I keep seeing all the project ideas where they turn their photos into canvas prints and said I wanna do that!!! Well, I finally did one! I was talking about it on facebook and you guys were all so interested I thought I’d share how I did it.

Turning Photos into Canvas Prints! Modge Podge #Tutorial #MomSpotted

I went to Michael’s Crafts and bought this pack of 8×10 canvases for pretty cheap. I plan on making a mural with all different sizes and have a few projects over the summer these will be handy in.

I also grabbed a small tube of black paint and a foam paint brush.

I forgot to get something to put paint in but just grabbed a lid the boys lost the container too.

Hubby insisted spray paint would do a better job and did one his way.

At first he rested in on a can. He put mine on one too. Those rings did luckily come out.

In the end I finished this project with the one I did with the paint but they both worked. Gave each one a bit of a different edge. The spray paint kept the canvas texture better but make sure to get in the canvas corner folds.

Next, grab some Matte Mod Podge and use it as your glue to attach the photo to the canvas. Don’t be skimpy.

Here’s where I changed the rules. It said to let fully dry but I was getting impatient so I just did this all at the same time. Coat the entire project over once you have it positioned where you want it.

See mine below. I used a lot and it was white. It’s okay. It will dry clear.

See :) You can see the texture the mod podge left but the photo is all now one piece.

Then hang on the wall.

Doesn’t it look great? You could do all 10 of these for $20! I can’t wait to finish the rest of them. I just need to figure out what to make the big center photo at 16×20. Any ideas?

Materials Used:

8×10 Canvas
Mod Podge
8×10 Photo Printed,
I often use Shutterfly (Get FREE Prints just for signing up!)

Jennifer, the mom behind the Mom Spotted blog, is located in Western Ma. She has three boys, Johnny (13), Gavin (7), & Sawyer (2). She is married to her high school sweetheart. On Mom Spotted you'll find a fun selection of recipes, family fun, product reviews, and more! You can also find her on twitter @MomSpotted and Facebook.

Comments

1. Did you just print the image in black and white on regular paper or was this a print from the store?

2. Great question Liz also do you know how long it will last (10 years etc….)?

3. That turned out great Jennifer!

4. Jennifer says:

I used photos. I got enlargements and just used those as is. I have no clue how long they’ll last but it will be yearS.

5. Christine says:

That is so neat! Def adding it to my list of summer projects

6. Wow….this is a great and inexpensive way to do canvass photos but thse instruction are totally confusing and not helpful. I don’t even get what i’m suposed to do. Is it only black and white photos? Or can you use color photos too? Why are we painting the canvass black? Does the black paint have to dry? Are we then laying a photo face down or face up and the modge podge goes over the top of the photo or between the photo and the canvass? Please help?

7. Courtney says:

I’m wondering if somehow some steps have gotten deleted…. it doesn’t explain anything at all about how you set up the photo or anything at all about the paint?

8. Wow, that is so cool, and not too difficult! Will definitely give this a try as much cheaper than the professional ones.

9. Jennifer, you don’t really explain very well, so how about you stop being a bitch and just answer her questions.

10. I am confused as well, like Jenny. I re-read the post and it didnt say weather the photo was face up or down and it didnt say if you removed the photo after you mod podged it. Also was it a black and white photo or a color one?

11. I agree with Jenny that these directions are confusing. Is it just a coincidence that the paint is black and the photo is b&w???

Is the black paint just to make it look finished?

Is the pic just glued to the canvas, or does it “melt” into the canvas and look like a painting?

Sorry, I don’t really get it.

12. Shvetha says:

Hi,
    You can get big size black and white pics from staples. It’s called engineering prints. They are around $3 or so for a 16×20.

13. I have a couple of helpful tips for you. If your canvases were still a bit floppy – not tight like a drum – which most pre-strecthed canvases are, if you paint the back with water it will re-activate the sizing in the canvas and pull it taught. So, should your husband try to dry your canvases again on top of another can (I cringed so hard) and it seems like all hope is lost, fear not! In my experience, this trick will work at least two times if you are careful with your water application before you have to get into taking it off the bars and and re-stretch pre-primed canvas (a pain in the fingers and a two person chore without canvas pliers when you get into larger sizes). You should NOT spray the back or saturate it to puddles of water, just lightly and quickly apply the water with a bristle brush or foam brush to the back including under the bars to the best of your ability and let the canvas dry flat, stretchers down, picture side up for about an hour -longer if you have the patience. (I usually let mine set for about two hours depending on the humidity) If you do not dry them flat – especially with larger canvases – unintended warping/stretching can occur. Most pre-stretched canvases are poorly stretched and primed, and doing this trick will make your pre-stretched canvases look more pro.
    I usually do this to my pre-stretched canvases as soon as I’m ready to paint on them, and once more when the painting is done.
    As for how long these print canvases would last, Modpodge is archival, MOST pre-stretched canvas is archival and acid free, most crafty paints are also archival/acid free. This means, that aside from house hold staining (just being in a non humidity controlled environment with dust, cooking -if in your kitchen-, and or cigarette smoke) the prints made with craft supplies should impress at LEAST your grand children, if not your great great (that’s right, three generations later) grand children with their retained quality over time. Spray pain IS USUALLY NOT either of these things- acid free or archival. Also, you have to be careful of using an oil-based spray paint when crafting anything, as using a water-based medium (modpodge) on top of an oil base will lead to bubbles, peeling, flaking, sometimes some yellowing and generally distressed looking prints usually within a decade if not two (if you are lucky and they don’t ‘fall off the canvas” in the next five years).
    Hope this helps, sorry to be so lengthy, I hope it was at least informative.

14. Kristen says:

LOVE this project…can’t wait to try it :) Thanks for sharing!!

15. Susanna says:

I’m afraid I have to (hopefully more politely) agree. While it’s more or less clear from the photos what you’ve done I’d suggest making your instructions a little more clearly worded.

I did this in an art class in high school, it really is a lovely touch! And very simple to do :) Your photo looks great.

16. you can use modge podge on anything and over any photo, color or black and white, you can use it over stickers, magazine cutouts etc… and you can use it on any surface, canvas, plastic, glass, wood, etc…
    I believe she spray painted the canvas black, because that was her color of choice, you dont even need to spray the canvas any color you can leave it white.

All you need to do is pick your picture, apply some modge podge to the back of the photo, or even glue stick, just so the image sticks to the canvas or what ever material you choose to use, apply the image face up, smooth it down with your fingers so its good and stuck, and then take a small paint brush, or even one of them foam paint brushes and dip it in the modge podge, apply it over the intire picture, it will look all white but it dries clear, and let dry…thats basically it, once it is dry hang it up or whatever.

17. I think it is a great project! For your middle picture I think you should do one of your family or something that resembles your family. (:

18. Jennifer says:

I was on vacation when this post went crazy and I’m sorry I wasn’t able to help but swearing at me isn’t the way to get help. Be nice or I’ll block your IP from my site.

The paint is black but it can be ANY color you want. The photo can be too. I just wanted it to be black and white. The back of the photo was laid upon the canvas. It went canvas, paint, modge podge, photo, modge podge.

The picture is more glued then ‘melted’. It does get the brush texture from the modge podge but not the canvas texture. On the wall is still looks great and shows texture that a regular photo wouldn’t.

If I missed any questions just let me know and I’ll be happy to try and answer them.

19. Wow , what a great idea. Thanks for the post. I feel sorry for people who post comments and show their ignorance by using profanity.

20. Brandie says:

This is cute!! I will have to do this as a project with my 8 yr old son. He has tons of airplane pictures (my future pilot lol) he wants to hang in his room so instead of buying frames for all of them I think we will do this instead. Your directions were pretty clear to me :)

21. i love this! found you via stumbleupon

Mandy
    smallfineprint.com

22. Were all your pictures ones that were done at a place that processes pictures or did you print any off yourself and use them for this project on photo paper using a 3 in one printer , not a special photo printer, but on photo paper ?

I am just curious if it can be totally done at home the printing of picture on a normal 100.00 printer rather than from a photo processed photo or on a photo printer.

• Hi. I know of some people who have printed from their printer on standard printer paper and photo paper and they have come out great. I personally am getting matte prints done at Walmart. They have amazing pricing on photos and even with poster sizes like 11×14, you can get them the same day!

23. Jennifer says:

Mine were printed at CVS but I really don’t think it would make a difference :)

24. Jessica says:

Love, love, LOVE this! I’m planning to take photo prints of Hipstagram photos I’ve taken of the beach and make a huge, 16 x 20 collage. Thank you for this!

25. Jessica says:

I definitely said Hipstagram. I meant Hipstamatic. Whoops! :)

26. I really want to try this…do you think colored photos would look ok? Your b&w looks awesome!

27. such an awesome idea! and easy too! i think i’ll make this as a gift for the next baby :)

28. Wow…that turned out beautifully! I am so excited to be going to Michaels crafts today to get my supplies, especially because there is a sale! Your page here is so helpful and I am so excited to get started. I ordered matte photos. Do you feel matte is better or is glossy better? I am thinking matte, especially if using matte mod podge. Walmart is an excellent place to get photos as they are inexpensive and great quality. I paid about $12.50 for 2 (11×14) and I would have paid $20 with Walgreens or CVS. Wish me luck!

29. Erica B. says:

Beautiful picture! Sorry no ideas for a 16×20 at the moment. O and what is it with husbands and spraypaint? LOL :)

30. I have done a few of these and always get bubbles that come up and ruin the project!!! I apply the Modge Podge to the canvas and then position the paper on, then smooth it all out, THEN it starts bubbling up…what am I doing wrong?? Any advice??

31. I have also done this canvas project but instead of Modge Podge I used white(it has to be white)wood glue. Spread an even coat onto the canvas positioned the picture on top. To eliminate bubbles I flipped the canvas over and used a small plastic scraper to smooth. It worked perfectly the scraper can fit under the wood frame so you can get a nice smooth surface. No bubbles Then I coated the top of the photo with a sponge rolled so it dried looking like canvas. As for the spray paint I just used acrylic paint and painted the edge and a bit around the top Just to give it a finished look. I did not have any problem understanding your tutorial. Thank you for your post

32. I love this idea! It’s such a great way to display pictures!

Trackbacks

1. […] full method can be found on Mom Spotted, where Jennifer and her husband have step by step pictures as well   Share […]